Yay! We here at Penny Photographics are not shy about our love of dogs, and we extra super love it when our clients get to include them in their engagement sessions. With that in mind, we’ve decided to create a blog with tips (and pics!) on how to include your dogs in your engagement session!
Before we dive into tips, let’s start with some very good reasons to include your pets. You love them, for one. They are cute, for another. And how often do you get to have professional photography done with your adorable furry family? Plus, let’s not forget that your photographer will appreciate it 🙂
Great, now that you’re convinced – let’s talk tips!
- Gear – First, make sure you’ve got the gear down! All your furry friends should have appropriate collars, leashes, harnesses, etc. for their safety and your convenience. Don’t forget things like poop bags and maybe a snazzy little bow-tie!
- Pet wrangler – Consider enlisting a friend! They can act as your ‘wrangler’ to help handle the pups, and they can take them home after your furry friends have had their close-ups, to free you up for more pictures!
- Treats, treats, treats – A few treats in your pocket can go a long way to help your pups be on their best(ish) behavior!
- Let ’em sniff – Show up a little early to let your furry friends sniff around and get used to the locale you’ll be having your session in.
- Exercise – If they are extra energetic, take them for a pre-shoot walk or jog or jaunt at the dog park so they can run off some of that excess energy 🙂
- Call in the professionals – Get some professional help! There are some awesome vendors out there, like Doggy Social, who dedicate themselves to the care and handling of your pet for events. This can be your engagement photos or your wedding day or anything in-between!
- Call ahead – If it’s an indoor shoot (like at your favorite brewery), make sure to check ahead that the venue is dog-friendly.
- And finally – relax! Engagements with dogs are almost always going to be a little crazy. Half the fun is all the goofy, spazzy pictures we get out of them anyway 🙂
Now for what we’ve all been waiting for – adorable pictures of furry little show-stoppers looking their best!